Brushing Teeth is an essential part of Dental Routine. For a healthy mouth and smile, the dentists recommend to:
- Brush your teeth twice in a day with a soft-bristled brush.
- Replace your brush after every 3-4 months.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste.
Teaching your kids how to brush their teeth is very important. It is the necessary life skill for a child to learn brushing. Regular brushing is essential for preventing tooth decay, gum diseases, bad breath and other dental problems. It is necessary to teach your kids the consequences that lead to when we do not brush. Learning good oral hygiene at a young age is important for long-term oral health.
Struggling with a child who doesn’t brush her teeth can make bedtime a nightmare. Teaching them how to brush is not an easy task. Are you also worried about your kids not brushing and flossing properly? Here are a few things you can do to help your child learn to love brushing their teeth.
- SHOW YOUR CHILD THAT BRUSHING TAKES TIME: Minimum recommended time for brushing teeth is 2 min therefore it is necessary to brush properly according to the time. Teach your child that brushing takes time. In order to let them brush for the recommended time, help them with some activities. Playing their favorite songs while they brush their teeth can help them brush theirs for a long time.
- INTRODUCE YOUR KIDS TO THE BASICS OF BRUSHING: It is necessary to get your kids introduced to the basics of brushing teeth. There are various ways to brush teeth which include:
1. Most importantly brush your teeth twice in a day for two minutes each time.
2.There should be a 45-degree angle against the gum line.
3.Brush from the base of the tooth to the chewing surface.
4.Use toothpaste properly. There is various fluoride toothpaste for kids available.
5.Be consistent in brushing across each tooth.
- MAKE BRUSHING FUN: Let your child choose his/her toothbrush ,whether it be a batman or a kitty brush. Give them a variety of toothpastes, so that they enjoy brushing their teeth. Play games while they brush their teeth. Make funny faces at each other in the mirror. If nothing else works, its okay to offer rewards to them. This will let them consider brushing a fun for them.With a little creativity, your child may even come to look forward to brushing teeth.
- MAKING A HABIT OF HEALTHY TEETH: Start the practice of brushing teeth at an early stage. This will help you keep his/her gums and teeth healthy. Practice good oral health care yourself and let your child know this is important for everyone. Take your kid to the dentist so that can be made aware of their oral hygiene at an early age. It is necessary to make them familiar with the brushing habits and the oral care.
- MAKE IT A FAMILY ACTIVITY: You can make brushing a family activity by brushing together after a meal. Young children love to imitate their parents. This is an effective way to encourage children to practice oral hygiene by making the activity of teeth brushing an entire family ordeal.
- MAKE TOOTHPASTE OPTIONAL: Don’t let toothpaste be a reason to limit your kid’s brushing therefore wrong toothpaste can make your child gag and make brushing messy. Choose the right flavor toothpaste for your child. Provide them with a variety of toothpaste that can allow them to brush themselves. Try to make toothpaste optional for them so that they do not think of brushing a messy and a boring habit. This can prove to be one of the best ways to teach them brushing.
- TEACH THE FINER POINTS OF FLOSSING: It is also essential to teach your child the technique of flossing. Flossing is also very necessary as it removes plaque from the places where a toothbrush cannot reach easily. Teach them the proper techniques of flossing for maximum benefits of flossing. Let them know which kind of floss is more beneficial. Flossing is as important as brushing your teeth is therefore Make sure that they learn proper techniques.
- MAKE THEM PRACTICE GOOD ORAL HYGIENE: As an adult, we are immune to dental problems. So, it is necessary to teach your child good oral hygiene. Maintaining good oral hygiene is one of the most important things you can do for your teeth and gums. Therefore, it is necessary for your child to learn how to maintain their oral health. Daily preventive care, including brushing and flossing, therefore it is what that needs to be taught to your child in order to have a good oral hygiene.